Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

West Canfield Condos

This lot at 659 W. Canfield was originally home town a frame residence built in 1881. Its first owner was the Rev. William Wallace Washburn, pastor of the Cass Avenue M. E. Church. In 1890, Henry H. Valpey, a partner in Valpey & Co. shoes, bought the property.

The old frame house was torn down and a brick apartment building designed by Samuel Falkinburg was built on the site. Henry H. Valpey passed away July 5, 1897. His widow, Janet E. Valpey, would complete the project and live in one of its apartments after the building opened later that year

The apartment building was then owned by the Kenneth M. Davies family. Davies was an attorney with offices in the Penobscot Building. He resided next door at 669 W. Canfield.

Last updated 18/04/2023