Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Lane Bryant Building

Originally designed by Joseph E. Mills and built for the Tuomey Brothers' Woodward Avenue expansion, this six-story, Art Moderne-style, brick building was largely reconstructed in 1946 (permit No. 27472) by Bryant and Detwiler, contractors, at an approximate cost of $250,000. Lane Bryant, a large-size women's clothing chain, had purchased the building, referred to then as the Woodward Arcade, in the preceding year. The architect of this major remodeling, Charles N. Agree, specialized in Moderne-style retail stores, and he designed many Winkelman's and Federal stores as well as supermarkets in the Detroit area.

The first floor of the building refaced for Lane Bryant is clad with gray granite, and two plate glass windows are positioned on either side of the central entrance. The upper portion of the building is faced with limestone and is composed into three bays of windows, the central of which contains a strip of six panes. The two side bays have a double window in each, and above each is a rectangular indentation containing three engaged column forms, contributing to the Art Moderne styling of this building.

Lane Bryant began in Detroit in 1916 in the Washington Arcade Building, and moved to 1452 Farmer St. in 1922. In 1945, the company operated 22 stores throughout the country, had 3,600 employees, and an annual retail business of $35 million. The name of the store changed to Smart Size, a division of Lane Bryant Inc., the same type of clothing store, until it closed in the early 1980s.

Kraemer Design Group turned a this vacant former department store into modern office and retail space in 2013.

Last updated 16/04/2023