This frame home, built in 1879, was designed by and for John Scott, a renowned Detroit architect.
Scott ran the firm Scott, Kamper & Scott with another prominent architect, Louis Kamper, and Scott's engineer brother, Arthur. They designed the Col. Frank J. Hecker House in 1889-90, on Woodward and Ferry avenues, among other designs. Scott also designed the Wayne County Building in 1895 while heading the firm of John Scott & Company.
George Roby, a physician and president of a wholesale druggist supply company and later president of Roby Transportation Co., purchased the home in 1887 from John Scott.
Roby was also in business with Lewis C. Jialdo, the owner of many lake marine transportation and passenger companies. In fact, he named one of his ships the George W. Roby.
Later, John E. King, owner of the John E. King Coffee Co., who was related to Roby, purchased the home and lived there for many years. King's wife was the former Ida R. Waldo, Lewis C. Waldo's daughter.