The last house on the north side of Canfield Avenue West nearest Third Avenue that is still standing, is 702 W. Canfield.
The home was built by Dr. Henry A. Cleland, in 1880. Dr. Cleland was a physician, connected with St. Mary's and Harper Hospitals for many years. He had his offices in his own Cleland Building on State Street.
His father-in-law, William Cowie, president of the Detroit Dry Dock Company, lived next door (now razed) on the northeast corner of West Canfield Avenue and Third Avenue. Dr. Henry A. Cleland died in 1911.
Dr. George Duffield, a physician who was married to Clara W. Cowie, owned and occupied this home from 1913, and after Dr. Duffield passed away, his widow continued to live here until the early 1920s.
Last updated 19/04/2023