Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Harry B. Parker House

The home at 669 W. Canfield was built in 1885 by Harry B. Parker. After his death, his widow continued to live here, until she sold it to Waring H. Ellis in 1895.

Ellis was a prominent wholesale and retail tobacco company proprietor.

In 1911, Harry A. Lockwood, a noted lawyer with Clark, Lockwood, Bryant & Klein, with offices in the Ford Building, lived in this home. Lockwood was a circuit judge in Monroe County before moving to Detroit.

Later, the house became known as the Reindel Residence, after George J. Reindel, co-partner of the George J. Reindel Co., makers of office and home furnishings, who lived there from 1913.

Dr. Vincent C. Wall of Wayne State University purchased this home from the Reindel family in 1952 and set out to renovate the house and grounds.

Real estate attorney Kenneth Davies owned the house since the middle 1970s.

In September 2020, the 5,711-square-foot home was offered for sale for over $1 million.

Last updated 18/04/2023