Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church

Organized in 1883, Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church first worshipped in a small cottage before constructing its original church in 1884. The congregation dedicated its present home at Joseph Campau and Hendrie on Nov. 18, 1900, a Romanesque Revival church designed by Wells D. Butterfield with seating for about 500 worshippers.

As the neighborhood's population changed, the building was sold in 1914 to a Russian Orthodox congregation and became All Saints Russian Orthodox Cathedral, serving Detroit's growing Eastern European community for more than 80 years. Throughout the 20th century, it was a center of worship, community life, and charitable work before the congregation gradually declined as members moved to the suburbs.

Since 1995, the building has been home to Prayer Mission Church, now known as Church on the Move. Although the distinctive Russian Orthodox dome has been removed, the church remains an important reminder of the changing immigrant communities that shaped Detroit's east side.